Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Little Dog


Yesterday I sadly had to say goodbye to my dear little dog Scully. As I wrote in a post a while ago, she started having seizures a few months ago, for unknown reasons. Since then she has been taking barbiturate medication to prevent them, which worked until a couple of weeks ago when she had another couple of seizures. These events, as anyone who has ever witnessed them would know, are extremely distressing and frightening, for the animal and of course for their owner. The vet advised the only alternative was to increase her medication which I did. The downside of this is the possibility of side effects, the worst of which is liver damage. This is ultimately what happened to Scully and she began to be quite ill and yesterday went into liver failure. I had no alternative but to give her a merciful escape from pain, suffering and fear. We are very fortunate now to have mobile vet services and I called one of these. The vet who attended was kind, compassionate and sensitive and we were able to give her a quiet peaceful farewell in the comfort of her own home with me and Fergus near her. I know this was the best thing to have done for her, but it breaks my heart to lose such a dear little friend.


Compared to boisterous, gregarious Fergus, Scully was a quiet, docile and almost anti-social little dog. Not having been brought up as a pet, she was always very shy with people but once she became comfortable with me the bond that developed between us was a very special one. She loved being with me, would sit by my side for hours while I worked at the computer, occasionally putting her paws up on my knee as if to say, hello. Or if I was lying in bed she'd come in to the bedroom and look for me, her little face appearing around the corner of the bed, just wanting to make sure I was there. When she'd have to go out at night for "calls of nature" she would rush back inside, running down the passageway, anxious to be back with her little "pack". Food was one of her greatest joys and she would become so excited at the thought of imminent dinnertime, dancing around on her hind legs waiting for the bowl of goodies to be placed on the floor, so she could gobble it up at lightning speed.


She was a darling little dog and I will miss her gentle quiet presence every day. Fergus is a little lost now without his other "mummy" as she was his birth mother but we will both adjust in time. We are glad she is at peace now. Goodbye dear Scully. I will always miss you.



7 comments:

Rosemary said...

Hi Anne

Beautifully written and I do so understand your pain. Scully was a dear little lady who gave so much to you and Fergus.

Love Rosemary

One Man and his Dogs said...

Hi Anne,

I haven't blogged in an age, but you may remember that you made some kind comments about myy old blog page ("A Little Land Beyond the Hills").

So, passing by, I was very sad to read of Scully's loss. So hard for you and Fergus.... But I believe that somewhere, somehow, we all meet up again...

I ever you feel like a chat, do drop me a line on johnbarratt46@johnbarratt46.plus.com

take care Anne,

John

Annabelle said...

Thanks John for your kind comment. I don't know if you know the poem about dogs who die called "The Rainbow Bridge" which is about our loved dogs meeting up with us once more beyond this life (web link http://www.newrainbowbridge.com/NRB/rbpoem.htm)
A lovely thought. Fergus and I are slowly getting used to being without Scully but we miss her a lot.

One Man and his Dogs said...

Yes, Anne , that is a lovely thought... and who knows, there may be some truth in it... Our animals have just as rich personalities as we do, and if we survive, why shouldn't they? Though, you know, I'd look forward to meeting my animal friends again rather more than one or two of the people I've known:-)

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss:( I do know what you are feeling I lost my little girl to a tumor. Just think if all the happy times with your little one and cherish them:) You will always have the memories:)

MmeBenaut said...

Oh Anne; I just checked in only to ready this about little Scully. You must be heartbroken. Poor little girl. Still, she had a loving end and she will always be with you in your heart, just a Kittypuss and now Lillipilli are in mine. I think about them often but miss them both terribly.

Wardox said...

I have some paws for your knee if needed.