Saturday, September 6, 2008

My dear friend Ginny




I first met Ginny about 9 years ago when she was assigned as my "mentor" on my first day in my new job, and I couldn't have had a better one. She and I have subsequently become great friends and have shared some memorable times together. In one of these pictures we are at my 60th birthday party, with her gorgeous daughter Becky. She also came with me over to Geelong earlier this year when I finally graduated - she insisted on being present as she said she so admired my achievement in getting to the end of a gruelling few years of arduous study while working full time. It was a really special experience for me to have her there. Ginny is always the life of the party - could talk to a stone wall as someone once said, is bubbly, enthusiastic, happy and gregarious. She absolutely adores her two lovely children - Becky, who as I said is breathtakingly lovely and very smart too, and Matt - a tall, athletic and delightful young man - who is on his way to being a lawyer. Both kids are an absolute credit to Ginny, and they equally adore her.

Imagine the shock then when it was discovered in the last couple of weeks that Ginny has cancer. She is today in Sydney undergoing a very major operation, following which she will be subjected to extensive chemotherapy and radiation. Because of the location of the cancer, the surgery will be difficult, long and very invasive and she will need to undergo significant therapy and rehabilitation afterwards. The positive side is that she is still young, otherwise healthy, and has a wonderfully supportive family, a host of friends who love her and because she is a strong and courageous woman, has every chance of beating this.

It is still devastating though to think of this lovely, bubbly woman who has brought such laughter, fun and friendship into my life having to go through this ordeal. I am hoping and praying the surgery goes well and that she makes a successful recovery. Another reminder I suppose, as if we need any more, that life is precious and fragile and the health and vigour we take for granted today can be snatched from us at any moment.

Let's all make the absolute most of the benefits and gifts we have and always be on hand to lend our love, support and help to those of us who have heavy burdens to bear, like Ginny and her family do now.

6 comments:

One Man and his Dogs said...

Sad news, Annabelle. But its worth remembering that there have been huge advances in cancer treatment in recent years. More and more people recover. I'm sure your friend has every chance of pulling through.

Annabelle said...

Thanks so much for your comment John. Indeed medical science has certainly advanced in leaps and bounds and I believe the prognosis is optimistic in Ginny's case.

winecountrydog said...

Howlo. I popped in to ask you how your feet are doing, and here I find out that your dear friend Ginny is in need of some major healing.

I hope the very best for Ginny. Paw-leeze tell her there's a corgi in the States who's sendin' a warm nose kiss and a get well wish.

Best woofs, Tilin

Annabelle said...

Hi there WC dog, thanks for your warm wishes and will pass them on and the warm nose kiss! Pleased to say Ginny is making a good recovery, is out of hospital now albeit a bit battered and bruised and staying with her parents in Sydney, so that's good news.

MmeBenaut said...

Hi there A; I can't believe this - poor Ginny! I remember having a long conversation with her lovely daughter at your 60th. Do please give her my very best wishes for a strong recovery.

Annabelle said...

Thanks for your good wishes Mme B, I will certainly pass them on to Ginny. She is making a very good recovery and when I spoke to her on the phone last weekend, she sounded quite her usual self, which was amazing as I thought she might have trouble talking, but nothing stops our Ginny from having a chat!!