Thursday, September 25, 2008

What to read???


Fellow bookaholics can probably relate to the nagging sense of anxiety that I feel every time my pile of books to be read starts to dwindle and the prospect of having nothing to read starts to keep me awake at night ... another definition of insanity perhaps, considering that if I actually sat down and read all the unread books I've bought still lying around, it would probably take me at least until Christmas (not sure which year)!!!


Nevertheless I do like to plan ahead to avert such a possible (if unlikely) catastrophe and as a result start thinking about books I might like to get out of the library well ahead of time. Like me, when it comes to fiction, you probably have favourite authors who can always be reliably depended upon to come up with something unputdownable, to the extent that opening the first page of one of their unread novels and plunging in could almost be likened to the buzz produced by indulging in other more physical addictions!


Sometimes when I'm casting around looking for another "fix" I've thought I should be more adventurous and try authors I haven't previously read, or find books similar in style or story line to the ones I typically go for. This can be a long laborious process if it involves trolling through the library shelves or a good way to while away a few hours if it involves browsing a real or virtual bookstore (which can of course be fun but life is short), So I was really pleased to discover a great website recently that offers the facility to conduct this process for you.


It's called "Fantastic Fiction" and claims to have bibliographies for over 15,000 authors and information on over 250,000 books (so some of your faves have got to be in there). Everything and more you always wanted to know about fiction authors and their books is there, e.g. new and forthcoming hard and paperbacks, all their novels, non-fiction works, awards, what books the author recommends, where you can buy new, used and on Ebay, and if you go to a particular book, you can find a list of similar books by other authors!!! Bliss for bookaholics! Happy reading!


3 comments:

One Man and his Dogs said...

Great website, Annabelle. Something which I, as a former librarian, should have known about already, of course.... but didn't :-(

winecountrydog said...

Howlo!!! Woof thanks fur your nice comment about my personal best day. We hope your friend Ginny might soon be having one of these too!

I've just paw-marked the Fantastic Fiction website. Woof tx! I've got to tell you about a super-amazing and fun book site I joined a while back. It's LibraryThing.com. You can see my wee page at http://www.librarything.com/home/winecountrydog . I haven't pawed reviews yet, but dog-ma sez she'll help me. LibraryThing is the coolest thing. ^..^

P.S. - Hope the feet are happy.

Annabelle said...

Thanks wc dog, glad you've noted the Fantastic Fiction site, there's sure to be plenty of books featuring your fellows and for you to enjoy. I will check out the library thing site also. Sounds good.