Saturday, August 30, 2008

Un-Happy Feet


It seems my devotion to my fitness regime has been sabotaged by my very un-happy feet. Perhaps it's just their way of saying "give us a break", but in recent times, it's been a litany of podiatric problems. First it was corns and calluses, then bunions which admittedly have been hanging around for a while but in recent times have swollen to undreamed of heights, then last weekend a chilblain on a big toe - not a pretty sight. Now my right foot has totally thrown up its toes and is barely working at all. It started with a soreness seemingly from nowhere, which I was kindly told by my gym instructor on Wednesday night (when I had to cry off from aerobics) might be gout!!!! Ye gods, I know the old bod is struggling, but gout!!! I know this is not corroborated by any medical evidence whatsoever, but just the word conjures up images for me of porky, red faced, bulbous nosed old men (sort of Sir Les Patterson types). Anyway the pain has become quite a lot worse over the last couple of days, requiring a visit to the doctor. The diagnosis is still somewhat vague - the best he could offer was maybe a sprain, or maybe a stress fracture -anyway thankfully not gout. So I am hobbling around popping anti-inflammatories and waiting to see what happens basically.

I must say this is rather a bodily betrayal on the part of my feet, as I have really been enjoying my fitness sessions and actually for once feeling quite toned, fit and if not exactly muscular, at least tight in all the right places rather than flabby.

Oh well, at least the enforced rest will help with making inroads into the pile of books, paper work and blogging topics waiting to be addressed!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats amazing story.

Anonymous said...

well its nice to know that you have great hits here.

Anonymous said...

This blog could be more exciting if you can create another topic that everyone can relate on.

Anonymous said...

I truly appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

that doesn't happen everyday. wish you all the best.

One Man and his Dogs said...

Well Annabelle, you seem to have got quite a reaction to this blog. Don't understand any of 'em, but that's by the by ;-)

Your poor feet! I felt betrayed by mine a while back, as someone who has walked all of his life, when the wretched things started protesting. There are various conditions which tend to flare up as we reach the prime time of our life. One being that the cushioning on the ball of the foot can wear a bit thin, which causes exactly the symptoms you are experiencing in your right foot.
The answer for me was to place one of those pads you can buy in my shoe, and that did the trick. now I sometimes need it, sometimes don't.

Its not gout, that's for sure!!! (now back to the old stocks and shares, or lottery, or whatever the heck its all about. They haven't convinced me ;-0)

Annabelle said...

Yes John there was an unexpected flurry of responses to this, sadly I think they are "spam", so I've taken steps to stop this happening again. Although one may think any comment is better than none, in this case that doesn't apply, especially as most of them are not even grammatical!! Anyway my foot is still rebelling, so may have to investigate it further.

One Man and his Dogs said...

Yes, Annabelle, they are a little less than inspirational, aren't they?

"Metatarsalgia" is the name of the condition affecting the ball of the foot which I mentioned previously. There are treatments, I think, including, very rarely, surgery, but the pad I mentioned seems to do the trick for most people. Ice can help as well.

It certainly seems to be one of the most common foot problems among those of us who have attained sufficient years to usually be wise, but who are still young enough to be silly sometimes....

Good luck in solving the problem.

winecountrydog said...

Howlo! Sorry to hear about the bodily betrayal. Dog-ma & I understand: me with my back, her with the feet.

She sez supports the doc made help a lot. We both say don't give up hopin' fur turnaround! The body has amazing healing powers. Woof!

(tx fur info on our late buddy.)

(i see you may have won the spam lottery with this post. :-o)

Annabelle said...

Thanks Winecountry dog & dog-ma. I am still having problems but am hanging in there hoping for a cure soon. My dogs are hoping too - they are getting sick of the ultra slow and wobbly pace of walkies at the moment - not the same at all - especially when you smell an enticing scent and just want to leap towards it (as you would appreciate WC dog I'm sure!)