Sunday, August 17, 2008

Dogs about the house



As anyone who has dogs or for that matter cats, knows only too well, whenever you're engaged in doing something around the house, they have to be "involved". My domestic duties around the house are considerably lightened these days by being fortunate enough to have the lovely Maria who comes once a fortnight to keep order and restore cleanliness to grubbiness. However occasionally I have to get involved in such things as changing the sheets and it was during one of these episodes recently that the dogs partook enthusiastically of the whole exciting process. Once the bedclothes were all in a heap on the floor, Scully sprang onto it and ascended to the peak, like a mountain climber, then dug around madly until she'd made a nice nest in which she immediately curled up and went to sleep, not to be budged for anyone. I think she thought as she blended in quite well with the colours of the quilt, I might not notice her. Fergus meanwhile installed himself on the unmade bed - his favoured position, in whatever state of dress or undress it is - and also refused to be moved. Needless to say, the bed changing process took a good deal longer than it should have, especially as I took the opportunity to capture the little dears on film!

I recently read a post in the "Blogher" blogging community for women (which is fascinating by the way) about the joys pets bring into our lives, which I wholeheartedly endorse. They don't even have to do anything really, just seeing their funny little whiskery faces looking at me makes me feel wonderful!

5 comments:

winecountrydog said...

Howlo! Thank you fur writin' so affectionately about us dogs. And thanks fur the blog roll. You are one of the lovely humans who bring joy into our lives.

My dog-ma and I want to say that we've been feeling quite bad about the fate of baby Colin (Collette) whale. Our being so far away, we can't tell what exactly transpired. . . . As a dog, I accept Nature's ways, but I don't always understand humans' ways.

^..^ ~Tilin Corgi

One Man and his Dogs said...

And if you have both dogs and cats, the chaos is multiplied. Not only do you have problems in making the bed, on a old night it can become a stampede for who gets there first, with me often losing the race.

And then I have a young dog with apparent literary ambitions, who (probably quite rightly) runs off with and hides whatever I'm currently working on if I leave it within his reach. And is a pen-cruncher of the first order.

But would I be without them... Definitely not!

Annabelle said...

Thank you "wc dog" for your comments. It's easy for me to write affectionately about dogs (I am a dog - well in Chinese astrology at least). But anyway I just love you little critters and often prefer your canine company to that of humans (I don't always understand their ways either!) I don't know about Colin the whale but must find out .

Annabelle said...

Thank you John for your comments. I can relate to the fight for bedspace, although only one of my dogs, Fergus, is able to get on the bed. Scully as an elder lady is now not able to spring up that far and so sleeps on a cushion on the floor. On occasions I have had to get up during the night to answer a call of nature and on my return jumped between the sheets only to find an indignant furry body who had quickly staked his claim in my brief absence! He clearly sees the bed as at least half his!

One Man and his Dogs said...

They do have a tendency to do that, Anabelle. There were several nights though, when I first moved here, that I was glad of them. I moved in in a November, having forgotten just how cold a North Welsh winter's night can be.

And then I discovered there was no oil for my boiler. So I sat, surrounded by packing caes, desperately sipping hot coffee, with the thought taking shape in my mind: "Was this altogether a good idea?"

So the first three nights, until oil was delivered, were spent with a kind of heap of myself and four animals huddled among the bedclothes. The slightly disconcerting thing was not so much the layer of ice on the inside of the windows, but the fact that the water in the glass by my bed had frozen solid.

Still we all survived, though most of my potted shrubs, used to a pampered city life, expired after one icy breath of Welsh air :-(

I suppose you get frost in S. Australia, though probably not as severe as that?

Thank you your kind comments about my web page. Hope you'll continue to visit :-)