Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A taste of spring




Here in Adelaide we have had a couple of days of somewhat premature spring weather - given that spring officially begins on 1st September. We seem to have had a particularly long, cold winter so the warmth of the sun is very welcome. I occasionally escape to a nearby park at lunchtime to read or meditate or just enjoy the fresh air and commune with the ducks, who I must say are considerably better company than some of my workmates. Possibly more intelligent also. But that's another story. Life is problematic in the career area at present and well ... the love life as previously mentioned has had its ups and downs, so while I sat watching the ducks in the park yesterday, I was hoping spring would start to appear in me. The bleakness of winter is still haunting my thoughts rather too much at present and I feel I must make a conscious effort to restore some positive feelings. Sometimes all it takes is just sitting quietly for a while in a beautiful place and feeling its calmness and peace ... sometimes it's a bit harder, but I hold onto the thought that springtime will prevail, in me and in the park!

4 comments:

One Man and his Dogs said...

I'm reminded, Annabelle, of an Irish folk song, which has in fact little to recommend it other than its title: "Don't Give Up Till Its Over."

Life can change almost instantly for the better. I, for instance, met my late wife one evening when she walked into a library I was in charge of in downtown Liverpool just as I was about to lock up and go home because not one person had appeared for the last three hours.

So one lunchtime, you may be eating your sandwiches, and along will come someone even nicer than the ducks! And the end of winter always helps.

I wish you luck with the Latin dancing. Being the possessor of two left feet, I know the problems. They don't really arise with Border Morris,which in fact is rather like nothing else on earth... As for the "clogging", well, anything could happen, and probably will :-)

Annabelle said...

Thanks for those cheering comments John. I know life is a constant and unpredictable mystery and the best we can do sometimes is just not give up! I was listening to one of my motivational audio books going to work this morning and that made me feel really good. Also, perhaps one of the ducks will one day miraculously shed his feathers and appear before me in human form - my prince at last!!!

One Man and his Dogs said...

That sounds better, Annabelle. Next thing for you to do is to build a large pond in your garden for your prince. Because he probably won't give up quite all of his ducky habits :-)

MmeBenaut said...

Wonderful photos of one of my favourite childhood haunts. Can you believe that I used to catch tadpoles in there?

Winter is tough isn't it? But it's over for another year and the sun is shining again.
xxx